Friday, January 29, 2010

Yellow!!

Makena got her yellow necklace today!!!
Short background as to why a yellow rubber necklace is a big deal: the Y Pool's swimming test policy awards a yellow necklace to kids who are able to float on their backs for 5 seconds and swim 15 feet (more like 20 in the indoor pool) unassisted. The yellow indicates that they can go down some of the waterslides and have some more freedom in the big pool.
Makena is a great swimmer. Left alone, she'll swim all over the place, dive for toys on the bottom and jump off the side over and over again. Put me into the mix, though, and all bets are off. I'm impatient (especially when it comes to swimming) and logical to a fault. Watching her swim 20 or 25 feet in water that is up to her chin and then watching her quiver in fear at swimming less than that distance in water just barely above her head makes me crazy! Parenting fail #492. Selfish mom moment #6,247. Humbling realization that I was putting my wants above my kid's feelings moment #4....of what will probably eventually be many more.
Finally, today, God sent us an angelic lifeguard. We were the only people in our section of the pool and I noticed she watched Makena swim all sorts of long distances in her comfort-depth areas. Then, when we came to her (in THE spot that always freaked Makena out)...even though Makena had agreed to try, the freak out began. Long story short- the lifeguard (without prompting) started talking to Makena and telling her she was certain she could do it. "I think you're a better swimmer than you think you are". Amazing. Exactly what I had been saying but, coming from a total stranger, it sunk in.
Thank you, Monique the lifeguard!

No comments: