Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Running

Running has never been a favorite activity of mine. I have always said I would only run voluntarily "to the bathroom or when being chased".

Back in my younger years I could have added "between bases or after a ball of some sort", but considering my athletic peak was when I was 16, those two are no longer valid.


Now I find myself using running as my primary form of preparation for our trip to the Grand Canyon next month. Brett, Dad, James and I are planning to do a two day, rim-to-rim hike with an overnight stay at Phantom Ranch (http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/phantom-ranch-704.html). I would love to give details of the distances and elevation changes but I find myself not storing that data in my long-term memory; possibly as a means of denial. Rest assured: it's a long way down and a long way back up and all the running I could possibly squeeze in between now and the middle of May will not be enough to get me into acceptable shape. Regardless, I still run...and I'm starting to like it. Maybe it's the temporary respite from diapers and tantrums. Maybe it's the enjoyment of listening to my own music at deafening volumes. Maybe it's running along the streets that line the golf course at the country club. Whatever it is, it's growing on me.

(If I heard correctly, I believe I just heard both Democratic candidates promise they wouldn't raise my taxes if they are elected. All politicians are the same no matter what side of the aisle they sit on. I'm going to go Keep up with the Kardashians now. They're more believable.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, You are hysterical! Thanks for sending the link to your blog! I am all about the Kardashians!!! We love that show!!! Hope y'all are doing well. We need to play soon! Kelly-