Thursday, June 4, 2009

Errant musings

these thoughts were typed after an evening with the sewing machine and one...or three...glasses of wine
Home Ec classes didn't exist in my high school. Well-sewn handbags wouldn't have gotten any of us into Harvard ergo...there was nary a Singer to be found amidst our hallowed halls. Sixteen years later (to the date, I might add...woohoo!! Class of '93 graduated 6/4/93!), I'm a little sad about that. Granted, I have just struggled to affix ribbons onto burp cloths for a fellow SJS '93 graduate (who will be delivering triplets tomorrow!). I have mediocre sewing skills- if you picture ribbons and a burp cloth, your visual will certainly include straight lines- straight lines are things I aspire to sew.
I asked for and received a very basic sewing machine for my 33rd birthday (yes, yes...I can hear you all serenading my youthfulness with "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, gooooodbyeeee"). I have never had designs of making fancy dresses for my girls- just things that involve right angles, like pillows and table runners. My mother has a sewing machine, but I only recall her using it when James and I were very young. I have enlisted the verbal help of two of my friends who are very talented seamstresses. They both look at my finished products, ignore the blatant flaws and compliment me on whatever little values they can find (I have FANTASTIC friends!!).
I'm rambling. I guess this is a classic case of youth being wasted on the young. Would I have wanted to take a home ec class in high school?? Absolutely not! Now that I am out of the workforce and my sense of accomplishment is abstract at best...straight lines are pretty cool!

No comments: