Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Our gardening experiment

For the past four summers I have said I wanted to plant a vegetable garden in our back yard. My 2005 excuse was "I'm pregnant". 2006: "pregnant again". 2007: "I have a 2-year-old and a 9-month-old". 2008: "........" (translation: "I'm lazy"). Well, here we are in 2009 and we have finally gotten our acts together and- better yet- everything is growing! We've already harvested and eaten three heads of Bibb lettuce. We're going to have entirely too many tomatoes, the bell peppers are thriving, and the cucumbers appear to be plotting to take over the entire street.
I know plant pictures can only be so interesting....so skip them if you want to.
This picture was taken May 10..
This one was taken 10 days later. (note that Owl is finally earning his keep around here)
A budding bell pepper and its flower
A cucumber flower- this is the innocent face of the cucumber plant
See the swirly little tendril curled up in the center of this picture? Yeah- that's the true personality of the cucumber plant. It's just waiting to wrap its sneaky little self around something and strangle it. One of those had hold of one of my jalapeno plants today. Little did the cucumber know where my loyalties lie.
I just like this picture- looking under and between two rows of plants.
And this is our pear tree that should have died at least twice by now. The drought has claimed about 3/4 of it and we have the dead, bare, spikey limbs sticking up 25 feet in the air to prove it. But, amazingly, some of it is still living and this year we may even get edible fruit again!

1 comment:

Brett said...

And if I would get my act together the dead parts of the pear tree should be gone...