Friday, November 13, 2009

I come from a long line of artists

No really, I'm serious. My mother used to paint and needlepoint. My brother majored in studio art and has been competing in and winning art contests since he was in lower school. My grandmother paints, my aunt paints and teaches art classes, I've got an architect cousin, another aunt who needlepoints... Anyone who knows me, however, knows that absolutely zero of that familial talent got routed my direction. My branch of the family tree is flowered with accountants, builders and engineers.
Now, I'm not saying I can't do some creative things, I just do them in my own way. In terms of crafty things, if I see it, I can copy it. However, I will generally take the project's written instructions, Six-Sigma them to death, and simplify the entire procedure. Martha Stewart would be appalled.
So...this brings me to the point of my post. After six years of naked walls in our house, I finally bought a piece of artwork! A friend of ours (Janine Medlin) sold some of her works recently and I was thrilled to find this gorgeous painting of a cherry blossom branch! It's hanging proudly in our foyer. (this picture doesn't do the colors justice- you'll have to come visit and see it in person!)
Yesterday, actually, was a very intense left-brain exercise day for me. I also bought three other pieces at a show held by more of my creative friends. Two name canvasses to go in the girls' rooms and another one that's kind of a photographic representation of our last name. I'll have to post it when I get it- it's too hard to explain.

No comments: