Monday, August 17, 2009

Lassie = cause for tears

Ahhh...the 50s and 60s. The era of family friendly TV, no gratuitous sex, no foul language, no violence included in shows aimed for the preschool set. Horses talked, families smiled at each other all day, and pigs lived with displaced debutantes in farmhouses. One dog in particular, however, is sure to be a safe watch for your children, right?
Wrong.
Reese is destined to be a veterinarian or the president of PETA. She would rather spend time with just about any given animal (minus a "wask" (wasp)) than people. So...when Lassie got hurt during her debut 1964 episode (available on channel 853 for you Charlotte TW peeps)...she bawled. I wasn't even paying attention to her (I mean really, it's Lassie, not something I need to fast-forward various parts). Brett walked in from work and said "Reese, what's wrong??". I looked over and her bottom lip was quivering and a flood of tears was about to flow. "LASSIE HURT HER LEEEEEEEEGGGGG"
Oh dear. That was 5 minutes of consoling and promising that it was all pretend. So sad!

6 comments:

James said...

Nice! The kicker in this is that you took a photo. Great way to exploit the kids.. And great photo to boot!

Christine Kellett said...

How sweet is she?1 So tender-hearted. I love it.

Joanna said...

I can entirely relate with her. I remember watching the Lassie movie when I was roughly 5 and cried my eyes out because she was whisked away by a river. Thankfully she miraculously survived and all was well.

The Balog Family said...

The story is hilarious...the photo is priceless!!!

amanda said...

This is so wonderful and sweet! I love Makena's look of concern - such sweet girls you have.

SWEETLALA said...

I can totally relate. Jason rented "Where the Red Fern Grows" for the kids not knowing... OH MY!!! -anne